Regional Employment Placement Specialist
Remote - Vancouver Island, BC
- Join a progressive organization with a long term vision
- Receive $61,200 annual starting salary plus full benefits
- Help make a valuable impact in the construction industry
About British Columbia Construction Association
British Columbia Construction Association's (BCCA) mission is to ensure our province is home to a world-class construction sector that demonstrates exceptional productivity and resilience.
We’ve made it our mission to ensure that the skilled workforce, resources, and regulatory environment exceeds the needs and expectations of all industrial, commercial, and institutional construction employers. We work to ensure that everyone is represented, whether union or open shop, general or trade, located in the north or the south or anywhere in between.
BCCA programs serve more than 10,000 contractors, and with such an enormous reach, we are the go-to source of information and guidance for our industry.
To read more about us, our mission, various programs, and strategic plan, please visit our website.
About the Opportunity
We are seeking a full-time Regional Employment Placement Specialist (REPS) to join BCCA's Skilled Trades Employment Program (STEP) team. STEP's purpose is finding exceptional candidates for trades jobs and helping eligible program participants become job-ready.
This position is primarily remote, based in Vancouver Island, BC; however, the successful candidate must be capable of frequent physical travel within their covered region.
As one of our REPS, you will take the lead in recruitment, assessment, skills development, and job placement for individuals interested in construction trades. This role requires establishing relationships with various stakeholders, helping jobseekers create a plan for employment, and providing soft skills coaching. You will also manage participant files and submit necessary documentation in line with program requirements.
Your main responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Establishing and nurturing relationships with educational institutions, community organizations, and local service providers linked to the construction industry
- Delivering program presentations to various stakeholders
- Engaging with potential participants to assess program eligibility/suitability
- Assisting jobseekers in developing a plan of action targeting employment/apprenticeship in the construction trades
- Providing coaching to participants on soft skills to boost workplace success
- Establishing and nurturing relationships with employers, facilitating prescreening of candidates for job opportunities
- Serving as a liaison between employers and workers to ensure a positive worksite match, including conducting site visits as necessary
- Managing participant files in alignment with program requirements and objectives
- Submitting all necessary documentation in compliance with program requirements
- Attending job fairs, events, and other outreach to network and promote the program
- Communicating with other BCCA programs to facilitate appropriate program referrals
- Other duties as assigned
Ideally, you will have experience in the trades and/or a background in employment coaching/advising. Due to the nature of the role, a valid Driver's License and access to a reliable vehicle are required.
While technical background in trades or employment counselling aren't required, the STEP team is particularly interested in individuals possessing exceptional client-facing skills, as interaction with construction partners and program participants is a key aspect of this role.
Skills, experience, and background in the following will be highly valued:
- Construction and/or trades training and apprenticeship programs in BC (e.g., SkilledTradesBC)
- Employment training, career counselling, and/or construction crew supervision
- Strong working knowledge of the local skilled trades / construction industry, employment trends, and key projects within the region
- Non-profit organizations or other government employment programs (asset)
- Journeyperson certification in an accredited trades program (asset)
- Client-facing consulting and presentation/public speaking skills
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and Teams
As a program influencer, you will have the ability to advise career-defining solutions to our future program participants. Your outstanding interpersonal skills will be essential in creating STEP's value, and thus, increasing engagement and participation.
This is a rewarding opportunity for a self-motivated, disciplined, and reliable individual who excels at working both independently and collaboratively within our province-wide team.
About the Benefits
As a valued member of the BCCA team, you can look forward to $61,200 annual starting salary, plus the following:
- Opportunity to work in a flexible remote work model
- Robust health benefits, including vision, prescription, and dental coverage
- 3 weeks vacation to start
- BCCA wellness plan, including health spending account
- RRSP matching
- Access to Employee & Family Assistance Program
- Personal and professional development, including Education reimbursement
- Join an organization that promotes a healthy life-work balance and a respectful workplace
- A chance to influence the future of BC's construction industry and its workforce!
BCCA is the largest and most diverse construction association in the province. If you share our values and have the skills necessary to bring success to the role, then we invite you to apply today!